item7
StLaurence1
PhotooneResearch

David J Lloyd

Research Projects

LUDLOW HISTORICAL RESEARCH GROUP

Founded 1976

We always welcome new members with ideas for topics to be researched.

However, if any of those listed below appeals, or if you would like to undertake them with a fellow enthusiast or as a group, please contact John Barratt, secretary LHRG, on bravebichon12@outlook.com or 01584-877620.

Brief biographies of individuals buried in the tombs of St Laurence’s church

The fire service in Ludlow

History of Ludford

History of Ludlow Hospital

Law and order in 19th century Ludlow

Ludlow and the Wars of the Roses

The pubs and inns of Ludlow

Assist member Clive Richardson, who is researching Ludlow men killed during the Second World War.

The autumn term begins on the first Thursday in September.

Some of the topics currently being researched by our members include:

Medieval Marcher Lordships

The Marcher Lordships developed during the two centuries after the conquest of 1066. The Lordships covered an area between England and Wales which ran from the Dee Estuary in the north down to the Severn estuary in the south, and also the whole of South Wales to the tip of Pembrokeshire. It was an area fought over for two hundred years, a frontier zone neither in England nor Wales but which provided both a defensive barrier and a base for further conquest. The Marcher Lords, who acquired unique, almost royal, powers in their lordships played a key role in shaping the history not just of Wales but England also. The Marcher Lordships survived for nearly 500 years before being abolished in the 1530s during the reign of Henry VIII. One of our members is carrying out research on the lordships for publication.·

Broad Gate

A member is researching the origins of Ludlow’s Broad Gate, its ownership by the Ludlow Corporation and subsequent development as domestic premises.

The Ludlow Castle Heraldic Roll.

This parchment Roll, written in 1576, lists and displays the coats of arms of eleven owners of Ludlow Castle, nine Lord Presidents of the Council of Wales and the Marches and all twenty two members of the Council in 1570.· It was commissioned by Sir Henry Sidney, Lord President of the Council of the Wales and the Marches. Owned by The Friends of Ludlow Museum, research and writing is being undertaken by Rosalind Caird, Philip Hume, John Cherry, Hugh Wood, Margaret Clark and Liz Russell to produce a book which hopefully will be published by Logaston Press in 2019.·

The Palmers’ Guild Rentals

The Ludlow Palmer’s Guild dates from the thirteenth century. Rent-charges on the properties of members were used to fund guild chaplains to pray for the souls of the living and the dead, and the guild developed into a powerful medieval brotherhood whose influence extended far beyond Ludlow.

The Ludlow Bailiffs’ Accounts

One of our members is transcribing the account books of Ludlow’s bailiffs, 1521 to 1598, which will be available when complete on this website.

The Dyeing, Tanning and Glover industries of Ludlow

Lower Corve Street was the centre of Ludlow’s dyeing and tanning industries for many years and gave rise to an important gloving industry which lasted until the early nineteenth century.

Ludlow’s Civil War

Ludlow, with its castle in the ownership of the crown since 1461, was royalist town during the English Civil War but a siege by Parliamentarian troops in 1646 only lasted for 33 days. These and other events are the subject of a study by a member who is a published civil war historian.

Photographic Collection

One of our members is organising a collection of old photographs of Ludlow, putting them in order by street, and, where possible, by date.

Leisure in Ludlow in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries

A study of how traditional leisure pursuits declined over the years and new ones took their place with special emphasis on the differing views of leisure between the social classes.

The Reader’s House

There has been a house at the East End of St Laurence’s church since the 13th Century. In the mid 16th Century it was in a poor state of repair. Then in 1616 Thomas Kay, Chaplain to the Council in the Marches, built the present fine timber framed residence retaining the west wall of the original stone house. It became known as the Reader’s House in the early 18th Century when Ludlow Corporation allocated it to the curate who read out parts of the lessons at services in the church.

The history of ownership and structure of the house has been researched and written up in a 245 page report. A copy of this can be downloaded by clicking on the front page of the report to the left of this column. To read this report you will require a free copy of Adobe Reader:

http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/

In addition a navigable 3D model of the house as built by Thomas Kay in 1616 has been developed using Framewright software:

http://www.oakframecarpentry.co.uk/framewright.php

It is possible, using your computer mouse, and/or direction arrows, page up and page down to navigate around the house, enter through the front door, ascend the stairs and enter into rooms. The model can be downloaded by clicking on the picture of the house to the left of this column. To view the 3D model you will require a free copy of BIMx viewer:

http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/bimx/bimx_desktop.html

 

Horse-drawn days

One of our members is studying the carriers, stage and Royal Mail coach operators in Shropshire and some adjoining counties in the 18th and 19th centuries. These thriving services were cut short in the 1850s by the arrival of the Britain’s railway network.

World War Two soldiers

This is an on-going project for a member who is recording the names and service careers of the Ludlow men who gave their lives in the 1939-1945 war.

The David J Lloyd Archives

David Lloyd was born in Ludlow and went to the local Grammar School. In 1953 he won an exhibition to Balliol College, Oxford. He had a career in education with various jobs including Deputy Head at a large comprehensive and later at the Open University. In 1976 he was a founder member of the Ludlow Historical Research Group. After living in various parts of England, David moved back to Ludlow in 1985. In 1998 he was awarded the MBE for services to local history and the community. Then in 2005 he completed his doctorate thesis on Ludlow 1660 to 1848.

He died in 2009 and left his considerable local history archive to the LHRG. Members of the group have the opportunity to use this archive in their studies.

This currently includes editing David’s papers on Dinham House.

DJLloyd

Members at work

RIBBON
  Historical Research Group
LUDLOW
Untitled19b1
Readers House Report
DRHNW
Privacy Policy

Why not become

Click above

POINTINGHAND